Our open flash fiction manuscript submissions period for debut, full-length, fiction collections begins on January 16, 2021 and ends on January 31, 2021. Manuscripts received outside of this open period will not be considered.
Please submit your flash fiction manuscripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send your flash fiction manuscripts to the magazine e-mail.
- Must be a debut, full-length fiction book (previously published chapbooks and poetry books are okay).
- We consider full-lengths to be a minimum of 20,000 words. We also like smaller books, so we’re looking for a maximum of around 40,000 words.
- Each short story in your manuscript should be under 2,000 words.
- Manuscripts should be in double spaced, 12-pt, Times New Roman font. MS must include a table of contents and an acknowledgements page listing where individual stories have previously appeared.
SUBMISSION EMAIL CHECKLIST
- Subject: FICTION MS: TITLE by YOUR NAME.
- Include a cover letter with a brief description of your short story collection, including the word count (max. 100 words).
- Include a brief third-person bio (max. 100 words).
- Attach your manuscript, preferably as .docx (.pdf and .doc are also okay).
- We strongly encourage BIPOC and LGBTQ writers to send us their work.
- Read our flash fiction archives to get a sense of what we like. Our Nominations & Awards page is a good place to start.
- Follow us on twitter @okaydonkeymag for more up-to-date info.
Please submit your poems and flash fictions to email@example.com. Do not send your poems and flash fictions to the press e-mail. We publish one new poem every Monday and one new flash fiction every Friday. Please send us one poem OR one flash fiction per author. We do not publish flash nonfiction.
- Send us one poem per submission.
- Use 12-point, Times New Roman font, and single space (except for form poems).
- While there are no strict word limits for poetry, we tend to like pieces that fit on one page.
- Send us one flash fiction (up to 1,500 words) per submission.
- Use 12-point, Times New Roman font, and double space your submissions.
SUBMISSION EMAIL CHECKLIST
- Subject: POETRY/FICTION: TITLE by YOUR NAME.
- Attach your piece, preferably as a .docx (.pdf and .doc are also okay).
- Brief cover letters and third-person bios are preferred.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT SUBMISSIONS
We do not read blind, or publish anonymous work. This enables us to publish authors from many diverse backgrounds, and do our best to uplift marginalized voices. We do however respect our authors’ right to privacy and publish works under a pen name.
If we pass on an author’s flash or poem, please wait at least one month before submitting again. If we accept a flash or poem, please wait at least six months before submitting again. We like to give everyone a fair shake.
We like to read both literary and genre-bending work, but no gratuitous sex or violence. Also, no racism, misogyny, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, or xenophobia.
Okay Donkey acquires First Electronic Rights and Non-exclusive Archival Rights. All other rights remain with the author. If you reprint your piece in a book or anthology, all we ask is you mention that it appeared here first.
Simultaneous submissions are okay, but we do not accept multiple submissions or previously published work. Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to pay our contributors in anything but gratitude and promotion, such as a hee-haw from our donkey on the Twitters.